A few carefully placed drips...


Experimenting with glazes and overlaying them can be rewarding,  even if the result dosen't always turn  out as expected. I like the look of the Spearmint from M^6 Glazes. Here is contrasts with a single dip of Varigated Blue. The body is Brownstone from Highwater fired to a hard ^5.  I had to use my small 40+ year old electric Jenkins kiln for this load, as I was in a rush to finish some commissioned pieces and didn't want to spend time filling up the bigger Olympic gas kiln. 

Anyhow, I tried some other drips and the results were very different. Here is the same glaze, Spearmint, with a white glaze that I have used before as a highlight, just to give a sense of random interest in the wabi sabi tradition...

Here is the soft corned shohin sized rectantangle.




Because the glaze couldn't slow cool, (it is very hard to do in this kiln), and because it was perhaps too thick an application, the white fades into the main glaze.

I like the way the drips played out in this next pot. 

Being that there is more color variation within the grey and green tones, the drip feels more at home visually. Here is the same glazes with a different clay, a half stoneware and porcelain mix. Because the body is white, the glaze is more bright, less austere.


The drip ran all the way down the pot's side and pooled just before falling onto the shelf. I guess I should consider myself lucky eh?

Well, I will keep working on the perfect drip. I may never achieve it as something perfect, but that should be the point.  If too much time is spent trying to create that which is supposed to appear spontaneous and random, then how can we call it wabi-sabi?

Anyway, thanks for letting me share! 




Comments

  1. Wonderful drips love the last on especially. Try this out on your next gas kiln firing 50 wood ash (unwashed) to 50 china clay for a lovely matt crackle ash glaze with loads of movement. If you put copper oxide underneath it will run more and darken the glaze but looks good. My last post on the IBC had this glaze including the "Last Chawan" from my gas kiln.

    Regards

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments guys.

    Andy, I shall give a go at that ash glaze....it was a stunner on your pot!

    Cheers-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob like the glaze, see how similar it is to a ceramic jikusaki I just put on a scroll. These were made in Japan. www.wallscroll.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!
-Rob Addonizio