Sunday, September 5, 2010

Studio shots from August

August has been a busy, if somewhat patient month. Back to school, shift in schedules, moving from summer time to classroom, these changes require a bit of perseverance.  Its not that going back to teaching totally robs me of studio time. I actually get MORE done when I am teaching. Perhaps it has more to do with the fact that the summer is spent on so many other projects!

Commissioned bonsai containers too, require a bit of perseverance, especially when they are very large. Challenges arise, and get worked through. I thought since I have spent so much time working on these two large ovals I could share a few photographs of work in process.

Starting off with wedging several large balls of clay that I have recently reclaimed:


I then center these large balls onto a very wide 28" inch bat made of plexiglas:

opening up....


taking shape...


shaping into the oval form...




rolling out the slab for the base...

getting it ready for mating...



the glue up, what a sight....

adding drainage holes after removing excess clay from around the base...
both ovals have feet and are now bagged to dry slowly ...


In my next post I will share the firing process of these behemoths. Just as much care and patience will be needed in that process as their construction. 

Thats all for now, ciao!



2 comments:

  1. Wow! Didn't know they can be made like this. How on earth do you move that ring? Or turn the pot upside down. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive work! I really am looking forward to the post on the firing and to see the final result.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!
-Rob Addonizio

Check out this technique!