Recent Pairings

As a bonsai potter, I sometimes find myself more concerned with the way my pots look on my display, then I do with the way they look under my customer's trees.  Taking time to look at them in combination with a tree as the main subject can be a very humbling experience.

The first example, above, is a Malpighia, a shrublike tree also known as Barbados Cherry. Not a true cherry, it has small pink flowers that turn into green, then bright red pea sized fruit.  In a few months, with some careful leaf reduction, this composition will look even more effective. Some carefully planned shots with smaller, tighter foliage, and flowers/fruit, and we will be rockin'!

In the next photo, I have a Chinese plum, just at bud break...

This tree has personality! I love the ominous mood brought on by the trunk, looking ready to strike. The owner/designer of the tree has a great artistic sensibility!

And to finish this post, I wanted to include another tree from the same artist.  When I designed the pot, my focus was to make an expressive, primitive soft cornered rectangle.  I wanted to put some folds in the walls and show lots of texture. I was shell shocked when the artist bought the pot and used this tree. A Buckthorn, from south florida, fits the bill very well...
This tree, albeit a rather unconventional design, holds it own in terms of visual balance. To see it in my photo does it no justice. Making a fun expressionistic pot is one thing, but it takes a master bonsai artist to choose it for just the right subject!

Thanks for reading!


Comments